Santa Fe Renaissance Fair

by wil — Sep 20, 2009

Yesterday, my wife and I attended the 2nd annual Santa Fe Renaissance Fair at El Rancho de las Golondrinas living history museum. It’s a pretty small event as these sorts of things go, and I really wasn’t expecting much: a handful of merchants and some bedraggled, overworked SCA enthusiasts. But once inside, I was impressed with the merchants, games, food, drink (including local mead), and entertainment. I look forward to next year’s event.

Costume contest:

Santa Fe Renaissance Fair 2009 - costume contest

Entertainers/acrobats:

Santa Fe Renaissance Fair 2009 - Clan Tynker

SCA encampment kitchen (this is something I haven’t seen at other fairs — a historic encampment complete with working kitchen):

SCA encampment kitchen:

The old mill:

9 responses to “Santa Fe Renaissance Fair”

1. melanie says:

What? No photos of you in costume? So disappointing. ;)

2. wil says:

Next year! My wife wanted us to go in costume this time, but I had to check out the fair incognito before committing to a costume.

3. melanie says:

I think the only reason I would go is so I could wear a costume – not enough reasons to wear costumes in my life these days.

4. Rebecca says:

Looks like a great event – I love re-enactments – such a fun way to engage with the past.

5. wil says:

Hey Rebecca, living in the UK, I imagine you must have access to some really fabulous re-enactments.

6. Imperatrix says:

Ren Faires are great fun! It was at a RF in California that I was told I would get pregnant the first time (“An unexpected good turn of events awaits ye”). I enjoy both the large, permanent ones (CA and Shakopee, MN), and the smaller, SCA-run ones (central NJ, the Des Moines one before a local jerk took it over and ruined it).

7. wil says:

CA, NJ, IA, and MN? Do I detect a Renaissance Fair groupie? ;-)

8. That kitchen looks interesting. I am going to suggest the fair we go to in Muskogee, Ok to do one of those. I wonder who gets the food.

9. Teri says:

Thank you that’s my Medieval Kitchen, I volunteer at the Ren Fair to help the museum raise money for operating costs, (it’s non-profit). The food feeds the other SCA volunteers, we cook all day then have a Medieval Feast at night for the volunteers. It is great fun, I do bring the kitchen to different events, usually I get reimbursed for cost of food and have volunteer helpers in the kitchen.